Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Maus: A Survivor's Tale




by Art Speigelman

I loved these graphic novels! Technically, it's one story but Speigelman divided it into two parts - I'm not sure why. I'm almost certain this was the first graphic novel I've ever read fully! I love Art's style and the imagery he incorporated into the story (Nazis as cats, Jews as mice, Poles as pigs, etc.). The war story of Art's father, Vladek and the time he spent in in Auschwitz was interesting; however, I found the narrative between Art and Vladek much more powerful. It was amazing to see how the aftermath of the war affected certain Jews (or affected some more than others) and how difficult Vladek had become to deal with and Art's struggle to honor his father, although he could not understand the way he lived his life. I thought the story was touching and it was interesting how Speigelman told "his story" through himself and his father, a variety of settings and time periods. He mentioned his depression and his struggle to care for his father and live with "survivors," while he himself was not a survivor of the Holocaust. Overall, it was a quick, painless yet emotional read. Maybe I'm brave enough to do Watchmen?

No comments:

Post a Comment